Re: [LAD] automation on Linux (modular approach)

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Fri Mar 19 2010 - 23:44:02 EET

James Morris wrote:
> On Fri, March 19, 2010 11:53, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
>> IMO automation is overrated, it's useful, but OTOH how often is it
>> needed to change settings during an opus? Most times a mix, selected
>> synth etc. are fixed from the start to the end of an opus. For example,
>> normally a musician plays an instrument dynamically by the touch or by
>> using a volume pedal. Dynamic for the loudness seldom is done by a fader
>> after the recording is done.
>>

> it obviously depends on what type of music you're making. loop based music
> especially makes extensive use of automation.

Yesno :) reminds me to the loudness war, were silent passages are as
loud as loud passages ;). I guaranty in 15 years or earlier we will get
back dynamic music, even for looped mainstream music. At the moment
we've got a lot of musical effect overkill, if you can't hear Auto-Tune
while people are singing, you'll hear that they use it in auto-tuned
breathing space. Any timing issue is much more important, not only for
"classical" musicians, but also for people with a "modern" approach,
than automation is. And! we do have automation.

But ok, some wish to have more possibilities for automation and I've to
admit it's nothing bad. It's just that on my wish list sync is more
important.

Ralf