Re: [LAD] automation on Linux (modular approach)

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Tue Mar 23 2010 - 19:52:44 EET

Nick Copeland wrote:

> Perhaps it is just me that is confused but I still see a dichotomy
> where on one
> side there are parameters that can be automated/quantised and on the
> other side
> there is modulation that needs to be exact and smooth. This is the
> difference
> between CV and control automation but the thread seems to me to be
> discussing
> both at the same time. Automation can be used for MIDI parameters but
> I still feel
> that CV should be used for modulation. The Tuxfamily crosses that
> barrier by the
> way it can apply CV to any control which is a very interesting
> approach and
> possibly a good reason to have a look at their apps for some musical
> styles.
>
> So anyway, if a new port does get defined I would personally not like
> to see it called
> a CV port. Automation (CA) maybe, but not CV, that confuses the issue.

Hm? And how do we use the automation? By mouse or by hardware MIDI
controllers ;)?
If the hardware MIDI controller would define the start and end point and
cv uses a movement curve it isn't really manually control, but having a
resolution of 14 bit for MIDI might be smooth enough and manually
movements could be recorded by the sequencer.

--
Has anybody information about defects known for Roland HiHat
controllers? The drummer who ask me to repair it seems to have a FD-8.