Re: [LAD] automation on Linux (modular approach)

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Wed Mar 24 2010 - 18:23:57 EET

Nick Copeland wrote:
> > if you try to attach a knob of the soft synth to a slider of a midi
> keyboard, it will not work.
>
> There is no way to differentiate between source controller types
> (slider/knob) if it just sends
> a MIDI CC message. It is possible to remap controllers on your surface
> to not send CC but
> send RP/NRP/SYSEX (or arbitrary combinations) and perhaps these are
> not interpreted
> to expectation. A lot of the surfaces have default pages for
> compatibility with specific apps
> such as an 'Abbleton Live' setup, these will typically not
> interoperate well with another app
> as the receiver.
>
> What is the softsynth and don't you see any difference using any MIDI
> dump tools when you
> move the two controller types on the surface? There is no reason why
> this should not work
> however you will get the best results if the surface just sends a CC.
> I had the same stuff from
> my PCR-30 default settings, some of the sliders sent RP messages and
> needed to be
> reprogrammed.
>
> Nick.

Some people only have got a keyboard with a data slider, e.g. the DX7
has got one, sending CC 6 (RPN-/NRPN-Controller). I once wrote an app
for the C64 converting those controllers that can't be changed by the
keyboards them self, so I was able to control any other controller for
my Atari ST, resp. hardware synth and effects.

I guess such a CC mapping manager is useful for Linux too and would
solve Louigi's problem. Unfortunately I can't help, because I can't
program for Linux, but such a task isn't something that needs much
effort to be programmed for people who are familiar with the OS and C.