Re: [LAD] automation on Linux (modular approach)

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Wed Mar 24 2010 - 19:59:55 EET

Nick Copeland wrote:

> > Some people only have got a keyboard with a data slider, e.g. the DX7
> > has got one, sending CC 6 (RPN-/NRPN-Controller). I once wrote an app
> > for the C64 converting those controllers that can't be changed by the
> > keyboards them self, so I was able to control any other controller for
> > my Atari ST, resp. hardware synth and effects.
> >
> > I guess such a CC mapping manager is useful for Linux too and would
> > solve Louigi's problem. Unfortunately I can't help, because I can't
> > program for Linux, but such a task isn't something that needs much
> > effort to be programmed for people who are familiar with the OS and C.
>
> I agree that RPN/NRPN could be better handled but that does not get
> around the issue that NRPN #1 to Ableton Live will mean something
> different to another softsynth - the uses are not registered, as such
> what they do is inconsistent and was the main reason I advised clearing
> the controller settings.
>
> I can put RPN/NRPN support back into bristol but it still means the
> controller needs to be reconfigured so that the NRP ID assigned to
> the bristol synth controller mappings do not conflict with those used
> by any other synth on the chain.

What I'm thinking of is to map controllers

e.g.

CC 7 + data byte should become CC 10 + data byte
CC 6 + data byte should become CC 7 + data byte

CC 6 doesn't need to be used in context with RPN/NRPN

It's a little bit harder to map CC to SysEx

CC x + data byte should become SysEx with a data byte and checksum. I'm
not sure if a checksum always is required, e.g. just for changing a filter.

> Will forward the offlist discussion and when I have better results from
> some tests with Louigi we can submit a resume.

Thank you. I guess RPN/NRPN fortunately isn't used very often. Btw.
http://de.wikipedia.org/ is off, I wanted to take a look, I can't
remember how exactly RPN/NRPN is handled. I have to be out now. I bite
back any comment about RPN/NRPN for now.

Ralf