Re: [LAD] jack-session finally merged.

From: torbenh <torbenh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 28 2010 - 15:02:50 EEST

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 10:07:48PM +1100, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> On 03/28/2010 09:32 PM, torbenh wrote:

> >> Yesterday I tried to quickly whip up a demo app. I got into it for an
> >> hour but couldn't decide if it was worth adding all the gui features
> >> necessary for a simple demo.
> >>
> >> So far I came up with an app that load a gtk window with two buttons and
> >> four sliders.
> >>
> >> button1: Save Session
> >> button2: quit session
> >>
> > there is no standard way to trigger a Session Save.
> > it will be session manager dependent.
> >
> > pyjacksm has a dbus interface. but i wouldnt consider it stable as of
> > yet.
> >

> This will no doubt lead to some confusion. Is there a recommended way of
> handling the session save/quit operation in app? Or should we all just
> leave that to the SM app and just add support for receiving the
> notification in app?

until there crystalizes a standard api to talk to sessionmanagers i
think it would be wiser to leave this out of apps for now.

just add support for the session_event.

> >> slider 1 = channel 1, slider 2 = channel 2 etc...
> >>
> >> When save session/quit session are pressed the app saves the position of
> >> the sliders to a file on disk and loads it again when started if it exists.
> >>
> >> As a simple app it won't really do anything useful apart from demo how
> >> to work with the code so I would like to get some feedback from other
> >> users on what would actually be a useful demo of the code in action.
> >>
> >> I'm thinking along the lines of the demos apple released for the iphone
> >> which while being mostly fairly unnecessary are also still perfectly
> >> functional apps in their own right.
> >>
> >> If I can remove widgets or add only a couple more that would be preferable.
> >>
> > i dont really see the relation to jack session.
> > only 10% of such an app would be jack session related.
> > i dont really think would be a good demo of jack-session.
> >
> > but maybe i am wrong.
> > i tend to think that patches which add session support are better
> > examples.
> >
> > this is the patch for seq24:
> > http://trac.jackaudio.org/attachment/wiki/WalkThrough/User/jack_session/jack-session.patch
> >

> That's not a bad idea. If we get a few different apps with different
> languages and UI kits to contribute patches and version numbers of the
> working app we would have a very useful resource and saves having to
> write a new app just for demo purposes.

i am trying to gather status of apps on this wiki page:
http://trac.jackaudio.org/wiki/WalkThrough/User/jack_session

> I will contribute a patch for jackEQ which is c+gtk2 in the next few days.

nice. looking forward to it.