Re: [LAD] jack-session finally merged.

From: Nick Copeland <nickycopeland@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 01 2010 - 23:47:49 EEST

Hi Torben,

A few questions that I cannot seem to dig out of the otherwise very useful
diffs:

What tools are available to test Jack session manager code? The examples
only seemed to deal with the client side of things, not the actual session
manager itself so I was wondering how the client code can be exercised.

No interest in adding something like the following:
enum JackSessionEventType {
    JackSessionLoad = 4,
Maybe this has already been discussed in which case just drop it. The
interest was an ability to reload the same session settings without having
to break down and restart all the apps - is there another way to do this as
it looked a bit like the session files were only read by the client at init time.

I am a bit confused about the following from the seq24 diffs:

+ Glib::ustring cmd( "seq24 --file \"${SESSION_DIR}file.mid\" --jack_session_uuid " );
+ m_jsession_ev->command_line = strdup( cmd.c_str() );

This is the command string used to start the app the next time around. What about
other options that might have been given the first time around? If an app does not have
them saved with the user settings then are pure runtime options lost? Is it the applications
responsibility to ensure that the 'file' above contains all the parameters needed to start
the app in the same way? Just curious, it puts a bit more onus onto the app developer
rather than the session manager.

What does the UUID consist of?

Regards, nick.

"we have to make sure the old choice [Windows] doesn't disappear”.
Jim Wong, president of IT products, Acer