Re: [LAD] distros migrating to JACK2?

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 16 2010 - 20:38:23 EEST

On Friday 16 April 2010 19:23:33 Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> hermann wrote:
> > I hope, when debian switch to jack2, they will make it in one packet
> > (maximal a second for the dev files), that's what could make it easer to
> > switch the version for people how like to switch.
> Full ACK, OTOH let's put our hands on our hearts ... Who is using Linux
> audio and doesn't compile one or two things depending to JACK ;)? I vote
> for one package for all!

Hopefully they will think again before following this.

Why should all users get the files on their disks that are needed only for
debugging and developing?
Disk-space might not be an issue with your state-of-the-art-all-inclusive
machine, but not everyone has such a thing. Some have older machines still
running with <20GB disk, some have netbooks with only small (but fast!) solid
state disks.
Now why again should they install gigs of headers and debugging-symbols when
they just need the libs and apps to run jack and assorted?

Arnold