Re: [LAD] distros migrating to JACK2?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Fri Apr 16 2010 - 22:38:12 EEST

Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> On 04/16/2010 08:06 AM, michael noble wrote:
>
>> hi folks,
>>
>> I just saw an interesting line over at opensuse.org (
>> http://news.opensuse.org/2010/04/14/opensuse-11-3-milestone-5-the-community-strikes-back/)
>> regarding the installation of JACK2 as default in the upcoming opensuse 11.3
>> release. That wasn't the interesting part. This is:
>>
>> The JACK team is coordinating with openSUSE, Ubuntu, and Debian, among
>>
>>> others, to upgrade to jack 1.9.5 (JACK2) during the spring/summer release
>>> cycle.
>>>

>> This seems to imply that there is quite a large move happening across
>> multiple distros, and that move is being coordinated with JACK developers.
>> I'm not a dev and I'm not really comfortable commenting on dev issues, but
>> is this really accurate?
>>

> maybe i caused that confusion when i posted some jack-related bug to the
> opensuse tracker a while ago, last fall or so. had a brief mail exchange
> with the jack packet maintainer about how jack2 would eventually
> supersede jack1 (at that time, it seemed pretty clear given that there
> was no smp support for jack1 on the horizon), and that distros should
> look into that issue eventually. i should have followed up on this, but
> forgot about it. maybe some note ended up in a wishlist somewhere.
> unless somebody else here has been in touch with the suse guys about it.

I was pissed, because I like to test a sequencer on my favourite distro
(not Suse) and the distro the coder is using (Suse). And I was talking
to a forum, where a Suse guy is a moderator and he was a former pen pal
... by all means ... I guess the Suse guys are ambivalent regarding to
the JACK1 vs JACK2 issue.

All the time there was and still is an All-Jack-Package vs
Libjack-seperated-Jack issue and in addition JACK1 can't be parallel
installed to JACK2 issue, not only for Suse. The only real issue is,
that the user isn't able to choose, but has to do dirty solutions, e.g.
by using dummy packages.

To be honest, I don't care about this issue any more. I'm a noob, but
because of kindly guys from Linux audio lists, I'm able to solve the
issues regarding to JACK.

Anyway, there's no need to keep this dusty situation.

JUST, really JUST my 2 cents
Ralf