Re: [LAD] A small article about tools for electronic musicians

From: Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 28 2010 - 12:33:00 EEST

Hey Ralf!

Thanks a lot for your feedback, it is very valuable.

I am writing dub and ambient music, as can be seen from my site. For 7
months I tried to do music the Linux way, having no more possibility to use
Windows. Unfortunately, no matter how hard I tried, it did not work.
Perhaps, you did not work in electronic genres - they are very different
from hardrock and jazz in exactly the way I described in the article. In
electronic music you have to use lots of effects, especially in ambient. If
you want to seriously transform sound, a LADSPA chorus and LADSPA flanger
will not work - unfortunately. And I tried a lot. It is not a matter of
audio engineering - effects in electronic music help you to construct sound,
it is not a matter of mastering. By effects that "construct" sound I mean
filter sweeps and vocoders and phasers and filter sequencers and such stuff.
So perhaps you just misunderstood me.

In fact, this is very important. I know that many people in Linux Audio do
not know very well electronic music that is strictly sound manipulation
rather than putting together notes, since, as I've stated in the article, my
observations show that atm most people on linux are the "acoustic" type.
This is a generalization that may be incorrect, I am not holding to it, but
I doubt I am mistaken.

As for hardware, I did not understand what you are trying to say. 19" rack
equipment was more expensive? Okay. Maybe. But it doesn't take away the fact
that buying hardware is expensive. And "cheap" synths back in the days were
rare. In the 90s the amount of cheap affordable synths has increased. Also,
cheap in terms of music hardware is still pretty expensive, to be honest.

But this is really not the point. I know for a fact that many popular
electronic musicians of the 90s have used a limited amount of hardware per
studio. It is bewildering to a modern composer who uses 12 various soft
synths in one production that Squarepusher used TB-303, a drummachine and
one more micro synth for his first two albums.

Cheers!

Louigi.