Re: [LAD] A small article about tools for electronic musicians

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 28 2010 - 15:00:04 EEST

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 4:17 AM, Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@email-addr-hiddenwrote:

> Hey guys!
>
> Read it here:
>
> http://www.louigiverona.ru/?page=projects&s=writings&t=linux&a=linux_electronic
>
> Any comments are welcome.

Louigi, just as general comment, I don't think that your opening gambit is
correct. If anything, I would suspect that there is a greater percentage of
what you term "electronic musicians" as contrasted with "acoustic" musicians
among those who use Linux than there is in the general population of
musicians, or even musicians who use computers. However, in all these
communities, the number of "electronic musicians" is smaller than the number
of "acoustic musicians" in absolute terms. Thus, when you start exploring
the Linux audio world, you run into a lot of people using non-electronic
instruments, but this is no different than if you were to start exploring
the world of "people who make music" in general.

In addition, I think that you already know that you have a fairly particular
definition of "electronic musician" that actually excludes a lot of the
electronic music composers and performers who have traditionally found Linux
to be fairly hospitable place. These are specifically people who are not in
search of new synths or FX units with which to play relatively conventional
compositions with (perhaps) rather unusual timbres, but instead want the
control and possibilities presented by tools like SuperCollider, PureData,
Common Music and so on and so forth. I don't think that one group is more
important than the other, but I do know how labels can be a problem, both in
terms of a reduction in cognitive distinctions and also in social exclusion.

--p