Re: [LAD] Kernel Opinions: .31-rt or .33-rt?

From: James Warden <warjamy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 29 2010 - 22:52:18 EEST

--- On Thu, 4/29/10, torbenh <torbenh@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> From: torbenh <torbenh@email-addr-hidden>
> Subject: Re: [LAD] Kernel Opinions: .31-rt or .33-rt?
> To: linux-audio-dev@email-addr-hidden
> Date: Thursday, April 29, 2010, 3:41 PM
> On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 09:23:37PM
> +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:

> heat. I keep my
> fan, won't shutdown
> > >
> > >Well, I've used it for several kernel builds with
> -j2. Gets hot,
> > >but hasn't overheated... so I think I'm good. :-)
> > >
> > >-gabriel
> >
> > This is a good test :), when I do build a kernel the
> CPU is working
> > to capacity for around 1 hour, when set to
> > MAKEFLAGS="CONCURRENCY-LEVEL=2", quasi -j2. I guess
> your mileage
> > won't vary too much, so several kernel builds should
> be harder than
> > audio work.
>
> 1 hour ... with both cores ?
> thats why i dont use these weird kernel buildsystems.
>
> i build a kernel in 10minutes on one core.
> simply because i turn the stuff i dont need off...
>
> but this time i missed some important option and it took
> pretty long to
> get the new kernel working...
>
> for the record:
> this was the solution.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/571164

I tried 2.6.33.x-rty with a config from 2.6.32. Did the usual make-kpkg thing with the env variable CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=2 set prior to make-kpkg (dual core system). It built fine in a reasonable time (my kernel config is home-made, a lot of stuff is not checked in).

But when booting, I got a kernel panic (first time in years!). So back to vanilla 2.6.32 which works great for me even for RT (see xruns only when unstable apps are sometimes crashing - I use jack2 by the way).

J.