Re: [LAD] A small article about tools for electronic musicians

From: Tim E. Real <termtech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 30 2010 - 07:36:40 EEST

On April 28, 2010 06:05:22 pm Tim E. Real wrote:
> On April 28, 2010 08:37:14 am Renato wrote:
> > On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 12:17:51 +0400
> >
> > Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > > Hey guys!
> > >
> > > Read it here:
> > > http://www.louigiverona.ru/?page=projects&s=writings&t=linux&a=linux_el
> > >ec tronic
> > >
> > > Any comments are welcome.
> > >
> > > Cheers!
> > >
> > > L.V.
> >
> > Just two comments:
> >
> > 1) yes, rakarrack *does* rock - incredible sounds you can get from that
> > creature (for anyone interested, git version has many more goodies
> > than last release)
>
> I agree. Louigi seems to be as excited about it as I was when I found it.
> A rack effects that 'just works' and looks nice.
> Take it from a demanding axe player - it's good.
> Distortion/overdrive defines our sound, and rakarrack shines here
> with many types of drive to suit everyone.
>
> Just a request: Would be awesome as a DSSI plugin so that we
> don't have to use rakarrack in a 'send and return' loop within our apps,
> which causes latency due to the round trip...
> Tim.

Just a follow-up about plugins:

Wow, man! I just spent an hour playing with
   Guitarix Distortion (ladspa plugin) +
   caps C* Amp VTS (ladspa amp sim plugin)
 in MusE's plugin rack.

Gotta tell ya, by the end of the session I had the
 sweetest, most pleasant sounding, longest
 yet cleanest sustain, from just two ladspa plugins.

Strumming, appegios, pick sweeps, chunka chunka power chords,
 long sustain, esp with hammer-ons...
I don't know what it was about the combination
 but I can't wait to try tomorrow (it's late).

Am I correct in what I thought I heard?
2nd order harmonic 'style' all the way through the chain?
I know C* amp is tube and I think Guitarix is as well, am I correct?
It seemed to help with the picking.

I saw some other quite capable looking tube preamp ladspa plugins
 as well, can't wait to try them with the C* amp series, which I never
 realized was so good !

I suppose I've always been looking for a monolithic solution.
Been disappointed by one single plugin. Sort of give up looking, you know?
But two really is better than one.
I learned that from studying pedal schematics, I had built simple
  two-diode fuzz boxes and began to wonder how they get that 'metal' or
 'crunch' sound. So I knew that more than one 'diode stage' was required,
 but never tried it with ladspa plugins till now. I had also learned a key
 difference between fuzz and other types - asymmetrical clipping.
Rakarrack made it easy to experiment, with its two independent drive stages.
Once I tried Rakarrack, I was finally able to retire my analog FX box
 (Boss SE70) from its send-and-return (insert) loop in MusE.

Ramble ramble...
Cheers. Tim.