Re: [LAD] A small article about tools for electronic musicians

From: Jan Marguc <janmarguc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun May 02 2010 - 02:14:41 EEST

On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 8:57 PM, Tim E. Real <termtech@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On April 30, 2010 10:55:09 pm you wrote:
> > Tim E. Real wrote:
> >Wow, man! I just spent an hour playing with
> > Guitarix Distortion (ladspa plugin) +
> > caps C* Amp VTS (ladspa amp sim plugin)
> > in MusE's plugin rack.
> Silly me! I missed a piece of the puzzle. The C* Cabinet plugins.
> I was supposed to put a cabinet after the amp.
> Sounds even better now!
> It now approaches the type of sound that the JCM900 vst gives.
>
> > > Until now I have mostly been using SimulAnalog's famous JCM900 VST
> > > dll plugin under dssi-vst. (I do wish they would open-source those
> > > plugs!)
> >
> > Aha, it's for free :), http://www.simulanalog.org/GSuite.zip, until now
> > I didn't use VSTs when recording with Linux, but the web says, this VST
> > should be awesome,
> >
> http://www.google.de/#hl=de&ei=vJLbS_jPJc6YOMjj9JIH&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&
> >ct=result&cd=1&ved=0CAUQBSgA&q=JCM+900+VST&spell=1&fp=af503062d682e13a
> >
> I have not tried their other plugins in the suite yet, but the following
> statement probably applies to them as well:
> That JCM900 vst is by far the most absolutely mind-blowingly realistic
> recreation of a Marshall amp *ever*. Most people agree.
> It is *THE* standard by which *all* other plugins are judged, commercial
> or free!
>
> Sadly, I just found out the hard way that it has a really nasty
> denormalization problem. It's so bad I may not be able to use it any more.
> People have tried fancy anti-denormalization plugins ahead of it, with no
> luck, apparently.
>
> MusE has a basic DC anti-denormalization feature, and it didn't help.

I completely agree with you: The JCM900 VST rocks! I've been using it a lot
on Windows, now I'm on the Mac, so I haven't used it in a while. Too bad the
source code for these plugins is not available. The papers on the website
only explain the basic principles.
Anyway, I also ran into the denormalization problem quickly, so I just made
a small VST that mixes some -100 dB white noise into the signal. Actually, I
made the noise gain adjustable, because the added noise made my
synth-guitars sound much more authentic. ;-)
Alternatively one could make it more convenient to use by creating a
separate wrapper .dll that loads the JCM900 and just intercepts the
process-calls, while passing any other call to the plugin.

Jan