[LAD] A vocoder with built-in Modulator

From: Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 17 2010 - 16:22:28 EEST

Hey guys!

In many DAWs it is not possible to use a vocoder, because it requires two
inputs - a modulator and a carrier. So in order for this to work you either
have to allow routing in the mixer (which none of the linux daws are capable
of, as far as I know) or else use vocoder as an external programm.

While the latter is a partial solution, it is not always desirable. Having
Vocoder as just a plugin inside a DAW is something that I personally always
needed.

I wanted to suggest a Vocoder with built-in Modulator.

This can be accomplished in two methods:
a. The user loads a wave file from the plugin's GUI, a wave file that would
act as a modulator.
b. The plugin has a set of predefined waves and/or a set of oscillators with
basic waveforms (like the famous Orange Vocoder VST).

There are two Vocoders on Linux that I know of - the LADSPA Vocoder (and its
LV2 port, done by a different programmer) and the Vocoder, created by the
guys of the Rakarrack team.
Both vocoders are definetely very capable tools.

I wanted to ask whether
1. modifying them in a manner I specified above is a difficult task
2. and whether someone would want to take it up.

Additionally, how difficult is it to include several features that would
make this vocoder more like an instrument rather than just a plugin that
does only one job, namely filter, fine tune for the modulator and LFO.

Louigi Verona.