Re: [LAD] Looking for an introduction to rt programming with a gui

From: Gabriel Beddingfield <gabrbedd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 20 2010 - 16:37:07 EEST

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 6:35 AM, Nathanael Anderson
<wirelessdreamer@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> What choices do I have for tools to use, and what pro's/con's are attached
> to them. From what i've read so far qt seems like it might be a good choice,
> aside from the high entry barrier of learning how to do everything the qt
> way.

Qt is not a bad choice. If you've not done any GUI programming
before, then I recommend the book "C++ GUI Programming with Qt 4" by
Blanchette and Summerfield.[1]

   Pros: Excellent documentation, good library support, is a full
framework, themeable, etc.
   Cons: Uses a pre-compiler for generating "signal/slot" connections,
Several of the core classes (like QString) will spread virally through
your code. Because it's a full framework, it sometimes doesn't mix
well (e.g. if you write LV2 plugins based on Qt, as I have, you may
uncover some strange bugs).

Other options include GTK+ (gtkmm), WxWidgets, and FLTK... but since I
haven't dealt much with them I won't comment.

Another option is to use a scripting language (like Tcl/Tk, PyGtk, or
PyQt) for the GUI parts. However, when you're mixing it with your
core C/C++ parts, I find it really hard to debug these programs.

HTH,
Gabriel

[1] http://qt.nokia.com/developer/books/cpp-gui-programming-with-qt-4-2nd-edition