Re: [LAD] Looking for an introduction to rt programming with a gui

From: Olivier Guilyardi <list@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 25 2010 - 00:37:32 EEST

On 05/24/2010 08:47 PM, torbenh wrote:
> On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 06:00:05PM +0200, Olivier Guilyardi wrote:
>> On 05/24/2010 01:47 PM, torbenh wrote:
>>> On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 12:36:43PM +0200, Olivier Guilyardi wrote:

[.......]

I agree with most of what was above.

>> I think that some day I need to seat and work a couple of days on optimizing my
>> Vim setup. Maybe even learn the scripting part..
>
> hmm... completionwise i am pretty happy with the normal completion.
> what i basically need is jumping to a tag working with c++
> (without :ts for selecting the right one if that method name was
> ambiguous)
>
> hmmm... i will have a look at omnicomplete
> maybe it contains the necessary logic to achieve this.
>
>>> if your still into vim you might want to have a look at http://eclim.org/
>>> thats pretty awesome :)
>> I have to try this, especially the headless mode, thank you :-)
>>
>> However, it's not that I really like the Eclipse Java machinery. But I'm
>> currently forced to use it, and I have to witness that source refactoring for
>> function, class renaming, and a couple of other features are awesome.
>>
>> I'll give a try to Eclim to see what it has to offer in this regard.
>
> it makes most of eclipses awesomeness accessible.
> while retaining the awesomeness of vim.
>
> i only tried it with java though. would be interesting how well it works
> with C.

Now look what just happened to me. I've been working for about 6 hours doing
Java in Eclipse, making rather major changes. And I press run, it just works, no
error except a couple ones that I expected.

This IDE with all this syntax checking and refactoring tools (and I might call
them bells and whistles sometimes..) produces a real "added value".

That makes me think that the development environment can really completely
change the way you perceive a language or framework. There must be something to
do for C lovers too, be it in Eclipse or not. Maybe that's Eclim, or a lot of
Vim scripting (patching ?) that awaits me ;-)

--
  Olivier