Re: [LAD] Looking for an introduction to rt programming with a gui

From: Arnout Engelen <lad@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 25 2010 - 22:09:57 EEST

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 07:24:20AM +0200, torbenh wrote:
> > This IDE with all this syntax checking and refactoring tools (and I might call
> > them bells and whistles sometimes..) produces a real "added value".
> >
> > That makes me think that the development environment can really completely
> > change the way you perceive a language or framework. There must be something to
> > do for C lovers too, be it in Eclipse or not.
>
> it will probably work similarly if you use eclipse cdt.
> but i prefer to have a real buildsystem with C++
> and then eclipse doesnt know about your c files.

Knowing what a huge productivity boost Eclipse gives for Java, I was a bit
underwhelmed by CDT - but perhaps I just somehow hadn't configured it
completely.

(Java 'haters' would argue that Java is just such a bad/verbose language that
you need the IDE, and IDE's are useless for proper languages. There's *some*
grain of truth there, but on the whole I don't buy it :) )

Arnout