[LAD] Polling OSC controller

From: Harry Van Haaren <harryhaaren@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 27 2010 - 22:21:44 EEST

Hey all,

I've had a little idea that I think might be worth "implementing". This is
it:

Controllers, (in the musical sense like a MIDI controller knob), have always
had a certain
"update" period, ie MIDI cable 31250 baud, or from a MIDI file PPQ's etc..
you the the idea.

What if we were to make a "callback-update" system, where the controller
(read Arduino with a sensor attached)
runs an OSC server, which whenever gets a */<arduinoName>/poll* command,
returns the value of the sensor?

I appreciate that for this example it would seem pretty pointless, as for 1
controller the overhead is gonna be bigger
than the speed gained of just sending it every X ms. Concider a "big" ardour
controller, with moving faders, leds, knobs etc

I think this maybe be a great little system to allow OSC interfaces actually
save the CPU some time polling the MIDI I/O subsystem,
and take advantage of the Send -> Return style thing..

Of course to be all fancy, we could register a "send to" address, so many
programs can access the same device, and have it only update
the correct program, allowing each program handle the OSC messages however
they want to.

Also a */<ardName>/fader ( int ) *could be sent for each fader's position,
*/ardName/knob(int) *.... you get the idea.

Ideas, responses, you've already done this, etc all welcome! -Harry