Re: [LAD] A little quiz about audio measurements...

From: Olivier Guilyardi <list@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 28 2010 - 21:36:05 EEST

On 05/28/2010 08:07 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> Olivier Guilyardi wrote:

>>> I mentioned the clock problem first ;-) However, I thought it the
>>> other way
>>> around: I said that clocks being asynchronous that would generate
>>> artefacts, but
>>> Veronica seems to say that these are hidden when using a single clock.
>>>
>>> That's pretty much the same thing to me :p
>>>
>>> --
>>> Olivier
>>>

>> Did you also say for what card? A or X? If so, is Oliver the winner?

I said that the problem should be the same with the cards inverted, see below.

>> Btw.:
>>
>> Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>>> On card A or X?
>>> Why AM and not additive signals?
>>
>> Is the jitter caused because of residual ripple?
>>
>> Summarized:
>>
>> Residual ripple for the DC could cause clock jitter and this for card A.
>
> And more:
>
> Clock jitter would cause AM (<-- not my knowledge, somebody else wrote
> it) instead of analog hum, that would cause an additive signal.
>
> @ Oliver: Didn't you talk about syncing both cards? That's irrelevant.

Here's what I said:

"Well, it looks to me like this is caused by the fact that the audio cards
clocks are not in sync. When you loopback card A with itself, both input and
output are sampled with the same clock. But when you plug the output of card A
into card X, you're dealing with two clocks which are not synchronized, and that
result into these "artefacts". If I'm right then you should observe some
/similar/ issues when repeating the experience with the cards inverted."

Unfortunately, today my mails aren't posted on the lists, I don't know why. Some
days it works, and the day after it doesn't. So look at the second post from
Fons, there's my answer.

What I said is about syncing yeah. Maybe that Veronica is being more precise
mentioning clock instability or dither. But I'm very low in regard to theory
anyway, I'm the intuitive guy ;-)

--
  Olivier