Re: [LAD] Unite file types & project settings

From: Jeremy <jeremybubs@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jun 02 2010 - 18:30:28 EEST

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 7:48 AM, Harry Van Haaren <harryhaaren@email-addr-hiddenwrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I've been pondering lately about loading sessions with Linux Audio, and
> realized that
> I would find it particularly useful if I could load an LMMS project file
> into Ardour, and then
> proceed to move that into QTractor, and do my last mastering in Audacity.
>
> As things stand, this is possible, but it requires exporting .wav files,
> importing them to Ardour, then
> positioning them, doing what you need to do, and proceed to export them
> again to move them to another program.
>
> I'm hoping to get opinions if dev's think it may be a good idea to try and
> standardize a common "file-type" or "project file"
> across Linux Audio Apps.
>
> Eg: Programs support a filetype which is known as a .lap
> (LinuxAudioProject..?), and would contain all the MIDI clips,
> .wav files, synth settings etc etc across the project. (even JACK output
> settings?)
>
> Open to opinions... -Harry

It seems like it might be a good idea, but probably it would work out that
not every program can load every part of the universal project, but at least
enough that you can shuffle the data around. However, I think you would
first have to get the developers of said projects on board before you start
to design something like this.

Jeremy