Re: [LAD] meta issue tracker idea

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 07 2010 - 18:12:36 EEST

On 06/07/2010 02:26 PM, drew Roberts wrote:
> On Sunday 06 June 2010 18:06:43 Robin Gareus wrote:
>> Anyway, this is a one-way system. Users will need to use
>> upstream-trackers to submit information. This somehow undermines the
>> idea of providing feedback for interop issues at a central location.
>
> Just a central account function would be very helpful. Register at
> tracker.linuxaudio.org and be able to submit to any upstreams tracker with
> that one account.

With OAuth and OpenID this is possible; but not all trackers support
those standards; besides it only solves a side issue: user-accounts.
Singing up on each tracker is a one-time only job and much easier than
filing a proper bug report; so that part can actually be neglected.

Let's play through an example:

1) you file a bug report concerning sync between Ardour & Hydrogen
   on tracker.linuxaudio.org
2) the tracker automatically forwards those bugs upstream using your
   account.
3) On the Ardour tracker there's a quick response saying it's a problem
   with JACK-latency compensation in Hydrogen and the ticket is closed
   there.
4) tracker.lao recognizes that update and forwards the comment to the
   hydrogen bug-tracker

step (2) could be done if upstream tackers support OAuth;
there's a module for Trac and Mantis; but none for Bugzilla yet.
sf.net apparently has it's own interface that allows to forwards bugs.
I dunno about gna.org.
NTL it'll be some work to come up with templates for all those systems.

step (4) will tricky It requires correlating information from step (1,2)
and interpreting the reply from step (3).

Developing such a system will be at least a week of full-time work and
then a few months to test, debug and style it; not including getting
some patches upstream into trackers who require it.

Well, I don't think LAO would be the only community interested in having
such a setup. A quick google-search did not reveal a similar FLOSS
system; did any of you guys stumble over something like that?

ciao,
robin