Re: [LAD] qjackctl & server name

From: Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 08 2010 - 01:04:40 EEST

On 06/07/2010 08:24 PM, Robin Gareus wrote:
> On 06/07/2010 02:59 PM, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
>> On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 08:18:23 -0400, drew Roberts <zotz@email-addr-hidden>
>> <snip>
>
>>> In cases where it might connect on startup, must it?
>>>

>> no. again it only connects automatically iif a (default) server is
>> found responsive to open qjackctl as one of its clients.
>
> It must be even more exclusive. I have a responsive default server
> running and qjackctl does not connect to it.
>
> Please define "responsive to open qjackctl";
> It certainly responds to ardour2, mplayer, jack-rack, patchage...

maybe i messed "responsive" by "responsible"

anyway, the said general default jack server name is literally "default".

if you start the server for instance via `jackd -n fooserver ...` then
this server in particular will be identified by "fooserver". then you
will only connect to it as a client if either your application program
calls jack_client_open("barclient", JackServerName, "fooserver") or you
have previously set JACK_DEFAULT_SERVER=fooserver to override the
default name (which is, uh, "default").

similarly, if this `jackd -n fooserver ...` server instance is already
found running, qjackctl will connect to it iif it's launched via
`qjackctl -n fooserver` or JACK_DEFAULT_SERVER=fooserver is properly set.

nb. when qjackctl attaches on startup to an already running jack server,
it doesn't give a damn nor matter to which device preset you have
configured within qjackctl settings. look, a matching jackd server name
is found already active and most probably it has been started with some
other means than qjackctl, so devices may differ.

byee

--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc@email-addr-hidden