Re: [LAD] meta issue tracker idea

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jun 10 2010 - 05:11:14 EEST

On Tue, June 8, 2010 1:35 pm, Robin Gareus wrote:
> On 06/08/2010 10:31 AM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

>>> There's a 'tiny' link labeled "FAQ & Subscribe" in the bar on the
>>> right.
>>>

>> That should be good enough for most people.
>>

>>> I don't think automating the submit/add system is a good idea; Marc,
>>> Ico
>>> & me are are quite quick filtering SPAM and editing the planetplanet
>>> config-file.
>>>

>> Agreed.
>>
>>> We'll need to update the wiki-page though and improve the HTML-template
>>> for "planet bug". Anyway so far it's just an experiment, not a
>>> maintained service.
>>>

>> It's looking quite useful already. Another idea is to aggregate the bugs
>> as they are fixed and maintain a record for the most active projects. I
>> s'pose most of that data can be extracted directly from the trackers? As
>> in no need for us to write a database specifically for that info.
>>
> Alas that's not so simple with most systems.
> Only trac is good at that - providing a feed or statistics for recently
> resolved and closed bugs, that is.
>
> MantisBT requires the administrator to create a filter [1] and I don't
> think it's even possible with the sourceforge tracker. SF.net provides
> their own statistics but there's no feed for those.
> If googlecode-issue-tracker can do it it's a feature well hidden.
> I have not checked flyspray, bugzilla and debbugs.
>
> so long,
> robin
>
> [1]
> http://www.futureware.biz/blog/index.php?title=rss_feeds_in_mantis_1_0_0a3&more=1

That makes that idea fairly difficult to implement in the short term.

So far we have the list of apps being tracked on the right hand column,
and add/submit link and the actual feeds. You suggested an extension that
allows tickets to be tracked cross app but I think that is a lot of effort
for minimal gain at this point as there isn't yet a huge user base for the
tracker portal.

I think it would be useful for the idea if we could bring out the user
contribution side a little more before building code to handle cross app
bug tracking.

Maybe a few links to add a new ticket, join the project and donate if the
project has that facility that could be displayed next to each project
and/or item in each feed?

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.