Re: [LAD] meta issue tracker idea

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jun 13 2010 - 15:14:13 EEST

On 06/13/2010 12:42 PM, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
> Excerpts from Philipp's message of 2010-06-05 13:18:02 +0200:
>> Hi,
>> this is all about making Linux Audio more useful.
>> The idea came about because on the one hand there are parts of Linux
>> audio that really need some coders attention and on the other hand there
>> are coders who don't know where to start. I realize that there never are
>> more than enough coders, so this is mainly about bringing attention to
>> the parts that need it the most.
>>
>> To a degree it's what bug/feature trackers are there for, but those are
>> usually per application, and while there are category and priority
>> systems in place those are rarely used.
>> So what this is also about is bridging a gap between users, developers
>> and between applications.
>>
>> It would be quite simple really.
>> An easy to find, central place, possibly a wiki or a tracker.
>> Anyone, a user most likely, describes his workflow and what the
>> showstopper is. This could be applications not syncing properly, or an
>> essential but missing feature. The idea is to tackle mainly
>> infrastructure and cross application problems, with the goal to make a
>> workflow actually work.
>> The user should have to specify all relevant information available, such
>> as version information, links, probably some kind of priority or urgency
>> indication and how hard he believes it would be.
>> He could also put up a reward of sorts, not necessarily monetary.
>> Any developer could pick up the task and work on it, possibly leaving a
>> notice.
>>
>> The possible benefits I see are:
>> a) A kind of overview of what's needed the most, one place where you can
>> see what's actually important to users.
>> b) A way to identify and fix problems between applications - something I
>> believe is very important for a system that encourages the use of
>> multiple applications at once. I believe there are numerous
>> synchronisation/transport issues for example which are never really tackled,
>> despite this being a very important part of the infrastructure.
>> c) Emphasis on actual workflow and usability.
>> d) It would work for any program, even those without tracker and those
>> that aren't high profile and aren't usually in the center of attention.
>>
>> Could this work? What do you think?
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Philipp
>
> Hi guys,
> first of all, as usual in the German language area, I'll apologize
> beforehand. I left you alone with the idea on purpose, but didn't plan
> to do so for so long. Also sorry for replying to my own mail. I feel
> like I have to make the origin of the idea and my intentions clear, in
> the process of doing so I'll likely offend someone, which is not my
> intent, I appreciate and value the work put into Linux Audio by all of
> you.
>
> One reason for coming up with the idea is that I'd like to see user
> [...]

The motivations are clear - you may have gotten some details wrong (eg
Paul is working on quite a lot besides ardour) - but the tenor is right.

The problem is: how to implement and maintain it? Just setting up a
tracker is easy; getting people to use and listen to it is the first
hurdle. Integrating it with upstream trackers the second.

Do you know of a system up for the task that we can install without
large development on our side?

If you have a good idea or elegant prototype, we can hook you up to
manage the tracker.linuxaudio.org vhost. None of the people involved in
LAO [1] are currently available for such a task; well, maybe Patrick is?!

Cheers!
robin

[1] http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/consortium/2010-April/002036.html