Re: [LAD] minimal LV2

From: <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jun 13 2010 - 16:38:14 EEST

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 09:11:24AM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:

> its difficult to see why you wouldn't simply define your own plugin
> API. the discovery process has to be one of the least interesting
> parts of LV2 (or any plugin API that i can think of) and co-opting it
> appears to me to save oneself almost no work at all.

True. This *will* a separate API, and using it directly will
by far the easiest way, but

1. Given that basic LV2 is almost nothing, *any* extension
more or less corresponds to a complete redeifinition (with
only the run() call being standard). So it's not really
so special.

2. 'Embedding' it in LV2 may placate some people, and
save me some flames.

> supporting touch specifically requires 2 things:
>
> a) a user interface that has a distinct gesture for both the start
> of a touch and its end
> b) an explicit way to convey the use of this gesture to a
> control object

(b) is not provided by a basic get/set control port value
interface. How does the LV2 'external GUI' handle this ?

More generally, I don't think you can do automation right
by just monitoring/injecting control port values. Except
maybe when the automation data has a constant rate, e.g.
1/16 FS. In all other cases, it's only the plugin that can
decide in any intelligent way on control points, their
frequency and/or step size, etc. and it's only the plugin
that can interpolate such data in the correct way.

> > I tried to see if/how this works today using Ardour 2.8.9
> > and the Calf compressor, but didn't get that far: just
> > using automation 'play' with the plugin GUI open crashes
> > both Ardour and the external GUI (memory corruption detected
> > by glibc).
>
> i have seen quite a few reports recently that involve the Calf
> plugins, most of them not so great (i..e crashes etc). i have some
> suspicions that they do GUI operations from an illegal thread.

At least the compressor has other issues as well (didn't test the
others).

Ciao,

--
FA