Re: [LAD] Qt GUI for LV2 Plugin

From: Jeremy <jeremybubs@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 15 2010 - 10:49:05 EEST

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 3:52 PM, Gabriel M. Beddingfield <gabrbedd@email-addr-hidden
> wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jun 2010, Jeremy wrote:
>
> internal UI would be more what I want. If there is already a system in
>> place for communicating basic input controls, I don't see why I should
>> reinvent it simply to use Qt widgets. However, the fact that I was
>> referred
>> to using external_ui seems to imply that an internal Qt Gui is not
>> possible.
>> The fact that ui:GtkGUI exists and ui:QtGUI does not also seems to
>> indicate
>> so.
>>

> The bottom line is this:
>
> A. If you want to stick with Qt and have minimal hassles implementing your
> plugin, go with the external UI.
>
> B. If you really want an internal UI and want to have minimal hassles
> implementing your plugin, switch to GTK+ (or gtkmm) and use the internal
> extension.
>
> C. If you really want Qt /and/ internal, then be prepared to pave roads for
> everyone else. :-)
>
> D. <flamebait>Establish an extention that is analog to VSTGUI, where the
> plugins abstractly define their GUI and the host is responsible for drawing
> them.</flamebait> If you go this route, you'll need to talk/argue it out on
> the LV2 dev list.
>
> All of these are fully respectible options.
>
> This<
>> http://lists.lv2plug.in/pipermail/devel-lv2plug.in/2010-March/000505.html
>> >mailing
>>
>> list post says "If
>> you want to write a Qt GUI, make a URI for a Qt UI type, and
>>
>> implement it just as the Gtk ones do."
>>
>> Since I can't find any URI for Qt GUIs, does this mean that it hasn't
>> been made yet? Or have things changed since that post?
>>

> That is correct... no QtUI type. Since Drobilla said that to me, I have
> been occupied elsewhere. I fully intend to make option C work, if at all
> possible.
>
> Torben came up with some stuff that worked back-and-forth using XEmbed...
> but there was one direction that we couldn't get to work. (I think we
> couldn't get a GTK widget to take ownership of the Qt Widget...)
>
> -gabriel

Hi,

So I've written a GUI, and I've gotten a better understanding of how the Qt
framework works. It seems to me that all that would be necessary is for the
host to pass a pointer to a QWidget, which the plugin adds itself to, and
the rest can behave exactly like the ui:GtkUI. If I'm not mistaken, all
that would be necessary it to write a new rdf file.

Jeremy