Re: [LAD] qjackctl & server name

From: <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 15 2010 - 23:37:49 EEST

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 09:26:16PM +0100, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> On 06/15/2010 05:05 PM, fons@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 04:50:29PM +0100, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> >
> >> maybe fixed in qjackctl 0.3.6.27+ (today's svn trunk)
> >
> > Works nicely, many thanks !
> >
> > There is still the (older but not very old) problem of
> > qjackctl going into and endless loop when it somehow
> > fails to start jackd. The only solution in that case is
> > to terminate it. Which can be a shooting game as windows
> > keep popping up, and you have to close them all before
> > a close on the main window is accepted.
> >

> strange. it should just preset one error message box, that waits for
> your action before start counting for the next retrial,

The message window is opened as well.

> or you have system tray icon activated and their messages
> just pop without blocking,

I don't even know what a 'system tray' is...

> but in a "normal" desktop environment they should not stack up, the one
> just replaces the one before, which stays there for 3 seconds maximum.

They don't stack up, but even without that the automatic
retrial is just a big nuisance. In 99.99% of all cases it
doesn't help, it just keeps on repeating itself, and there
is no way to stop it. At least, [Retry?] should be an
option, but even that is quite useless as pressing [Start]
again is just as easy.

When starting Jackd fails, two windows pop up. My first reaction
is to click [Setup] to find out what's wrong. So now we have
three windows (plus the main one) open. Editing the setup (if
the error is there) doesn't help, and getting out of all this
is just a big mess as Qjackctl won't accept the main close
button as long as any other of its windows is open (why ?),
and they just keep coming back.

So *please* remove this, it's just a big nuisance and I don't
see in what situation it could ever be useful.

Ciao,

--
FA
O tu, che porte, correndo si ?