Re: [LAD] audio/midi app development

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Wed Jun 16 2010 - 23:33:20 EEST

Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> On 06/17/2010 04:52 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> Paul Davis wrote:

>>> the limits under discussion relate to monitor technology, not human
>>> capabilities.
>>
>> I'm not a 'fast watching savant' ;) and even if the GUI is too slow,
>> I won't care. I'm listening to music with my very good ears, but my
>> bad eyes. No doubt, Linux is a good choice, but MIDI real-time could
>> be better. For me the GUI is unimportant. BUT I prefer to do audio
>> recordings using Linux, but MIDI recordings. It's a real pity,
>> because MIDI would add some very cool features.
>
> This is only on your system right?

No!

> I know a lot of people are working with midi recording using linux tools.
>
> You see jitter at low latency but have you tried changing your
> hardware or working with the driver developers to isolate and fix the
> bugs you are seeing?

Yesno!

I guess it's OT here what I experienced.

I just wonder that computers >= 1 GHz could have issues, while hardware
from the 80ies < 1 MHz is completely in sync.

No doubt, my computer is a low-cost computer, even my 80ies 4-track
recording equipment is much more expensive, but I noticed the same when
doing jobs for audio and video studios with very good MacOs and Windows
PCs, MIDI isn't capable on most modern computers.

What would you call reasonable jitter for MIDI? 5 ms are inaudible
regarding to some audio stuff, but for syncopation less than 1 ms is a
no-go. You might record the Pet Shop Boys using Linux MIDI, but also try
to interpret Weather Report.

It's similar to the refresh rate. We aren't able to count how often a
light would flash, but we are able to recognize the difference between a
screen that refresh vertically at 60 Hz or above 75 Hz. Everybody is
able to do that, not only highly gifted autistic savants.