Re: [LAD] Real-time plotting of audio/ oscilloscope.

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Thu Jun 17 2010 - 10:26:08 EEST

Jeremy wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 2:25 AM, Ralf Mardorf
> <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net <mailto:ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>> wrote:
>
> Jeremy wrote:
>
> Is there a fundamental restriction on doing so, or is my
> problem in software?
>
> Jeremy
>

> Hardware ;)!
>
> We should start a black- and whitelist for hardware used for Linux
> real-time. Unfortunately I could add my two machines to the
> blacklist :(.
>

> Which hardware is "bad"? The cpu? The video chip? The motherboard?
>
> Jeremy

Dunno. I could post $ hwinfo > hwinfo.txt for a combination of hardware
that will cause MIDI jitter when controlling external MIDI equipment.

My mobo is a M2A-VM HDMI with an onboard graphics 'ATI Radeon
X1250-based'. Currently I'm using this mobo with a 'NVIDIA GeForce 7200
GS'. Jitter and jitter free moments did shift a little bit when changing
the graphics. I guess it's minimal better when using the integrated
graphics, but the NVIDIA, anyway, I prefer the NVIDIA, because I'm now
able to do 3D stuff.

My CPU is a

spinymouse-sudo@email-addr-hidden:~$ hwinfo --cpu
01: None 00.0: 10103 CPU
  [Created at cpu.304]
  Unique ID: rdCR.j8NaKXDZtZ6
  Hardware Class: cpu
  Arch: X86-64
  Vendor: "AuthenticAMD"
  Model: 15.107.2 "AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual Core Processor BE-2350"
  Features:
fpu,vme,de,pse,tsc,msr,pae,mce,cx8,apic,sep,mtrr,pge,mca,cmov,pat,pse36,clflush,mmx,fxsr,sse,sse2,ht,syscall,nx,mmxext,fxsr_opt,rdtscp,lm,3dnowext,3dnow,rep_good,extd_apicid,pni,cx16,lahf_lm,cmp_legacy,svm,extapic,cr8_legacy,3dnowprefetch
  Clock: 1000 MHz
  BogoMips: 2000.04
  Cache: 512 kb
  Units/Processor: 2
  Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown

02: None 01.0: 10103 CPU
  [Created at cpu.304]
  Unique ID: wkFv.j8NaKXDZtZ6
  Hardware Class: cpu
  Arch: X86-64
  Vendor: "AuthenticAMD"
  Model: 15.107.2 "AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual Core Processor BE-2350"
  Features:
fpu,vme,de,pse,tsc,msr,pae,mce,cx8,apic,sep,mtrr,pge,mca,cmov,pat,pse36,clflush,mmx,fxsr,sse,sse2,ht,syscall,nx,mmxext,fxsr_opt,rdtscp,lm,3dnowext,3dnow,rep_good,extd_apicid,pni,cx16,lahf_lm,cmp_legacy,svm,extapic,cr8_legacy,3dnowprefetch
  Clock: 1000 MHz
  BogoMips: 2000.04
  Cache: 512 kb
  Units/Processor: 2
  Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
spinymouse-sudo@email-addr-hidden:~$

My other machine currently is dismantled. The mobo is an ASRock K7VT2
and the CPU is an 32-bit 800 MHz AMD Athlon + NVIDIA GeForce Blabla 440.