Re: [LAD] audio/midi app development

From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jun 17 2010 - 17:37:25 EEST

On Thursday 17 June 2010, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
>Excerpts from Gene Heskett's message of 2010-06-17 01:32:00 +0200:
>> On Wednesday 16 June 2010, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
>> >Excerpts from Gene Heskett's message of 2010-06-17 00:45:14 +0200:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> >I fear something named simply 'emc' isn't easy to find around the net.
>>
>> Try
>> <http://www.linuxcnc.org/hardy/ubuntu-8.04-desktop-emc2-aj07-i386.iso>
>
>Thanks, I found it eventually (I'm really bad at using search engines).
>Quite interesting, it uses a RTAI patched kernel. I also read this has a
>module to disable SMIs, which is kind of hard to believe..

Not sure about the SMI, but screen blanking has to be disabled, that bites
in the the IRQ timing very badly. So when I walk away, I need to remember
to shut that old CRT Samsung off manually.

>At my school we transfered the CAD files per floppy to a DOS box that
>controlled the CNC machine, guess that's for the same reason, bad rt
>capabilities of newer OSes and machines.

The RTAI works pretty well, I can start a job, switch away from that window,
and talk to the guys on IRC, or browse the web without hurting the job.
That to me is true multitasking.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)