Re: [LAD] A question about LV2 audio

From: Philipp Überbacher <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 18 2010 - 14:59:59 EEST

Excerpts from Louigi Verona's message of 2010-06-18 12:13:16 +0200:
> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 12:24 PM, Ralf Mardorf
> <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net>wrote:
>
> > Louigi Verona wrote:
> >

> >> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 12:02 PM, Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@rncbc.org<mailto:
> >> rncbc@rncbc.org>> wrote:
> >>

> >> there's no limitation on lv2.
> >>
> >> i think you misunderstood something, but any lv2 host has obvious
> >> access
> >> to the audio stream produced by _any_ plugin. how could it be
> >> otherwise?
> >>
> >> your question seems to pertain on rendering audio that is produced
> >> by midi
> >> instrument plugins _faster_than_realtime_ .
> >>
> >> i also think you are inferring from qtractor as the sequencer. that's
> >> true: qtractor cannot render midi instruments audio in no other
> >> way than
> >> real-time. so that for you to export the whole session (song or
> >> project)
> >> you'll have to bounce (record) all midi instruments audio output
> >> into spare
> >> audio tracks and then, when all is perfectly realigned to
> >> compensate for
> >> round-trip delay, you can mix-down and export all audio tracks into a
> >> single audio file.
> >>
> >> theoretically, any jack-midi plugin host can do the
> >> faster-then-realtime
> >> trick, thanks to the jack-freewheel mode of operation. alas,
> >> qtractor is
> >> not a jack-midi host, although it does the freewheel dance to
> >> export audio,
> >> as ardour2 does. speaking of which, ardour3 may well confirm this
> >> theory ;)
> >>
> >> cheers
> >> --
> >> rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
> >> rncbc@rncbc.org <mailto:rncbc@rncbc.org>

> >> How is that done on Windows then? I never heard of any problems there?
> >> When you use VST, it renders them fine
> >> and Windows has no JACK.
> >>
> >> ps: sorry if my questions are silly, I really am trying to understand
> >>

> > Are you asking for doing a stereo mastering without playing and recording
> > the song? I wonder if this is needed. Anyway, I'm not sure if I do
> > understand what exactly you are asking for by the word 'rendering'. Is the
> > host Qtractor? And do DSSI plugs what you want? I guess 'we' do
> > misunderstand what you're asking for, by your first email.
> >

> No, I mean hitting "Render all song to wav" and have everything in one file.

So what you want is a downmix of the whole project into a stereo file?
Rui made clear that it's not possible with midi faster than realtime
because of something with alsa sequencer. Question is, can it do it in
realtime or do you need to record it with an external app (as
suggested).

--
Regards,
Philipp