Re: [LAD] Fwd: piano sound fonts

From: <simon@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 18 2010 - 21:22:33 EEST

> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 01:36:29PM -0300, A. C. Censi wrote:
>
>> Perhaps this one.
>
> No it was another one (I do have it meanwhile).
> But I'll check out this as well, thanks !

Yes, I posted my svn repository [1] so that people would know
"hey this guy does a bunch of audio stuff with python", and
if they looked at some of the code they may use the word
"crazy" in there aswell.

The wrappers are certainly useful, for portaudio, and ladspa.
They are updates of wrappers I did many years ago [2]. I could
also update the libsndfile wrapper, but am happy enough with
python's builtin wav file handling (although it is a bit slow).
The portaudio wrapper works better for me than the pyaudio
module. I callback into the python interpreter directly from
the portaudio callbacks, which you are not supposed to do,
but i find works well.

There are a bunch of scripts (the play_* files) which
are me experimenting with how to make sounds with a
python/vim interface only. I have not yet found a good
answer. I am considering augmenting my tools with pen and
paper, or perhaps some simple gui's (pygtk). Pen and paper
is difficult to beat though.

I tried hard to duplicate some of AlsaModularSynth's
beautiful sounds (see the play_synth_*.py files), with
only limited success. The code works, but I failed to
find any really good settings/patches like some of ams's
example patches. Boo. But I did come up with a "patch" system
that works well. Apart from making your eyes bleed trying
to figure out what is connected to what.

Numpy works well for banging around sample arrays. It is
really easy to get started making sounds this way. (Much
harder to do more interesting dsp work though.) The next
thing one would like to do is create some class library
for doing block by block processing. This is what is
in gen.py. (Some other guy had the same idea: [3].)

It would not take much to get me to clean up this code.
For example, if you said "hey clean this up", I would
probably do so.

I do fantasize occasionally about writing a realtime
GC for python. Maybe one day when my brain needs a real
workout.

Simon.

[1] http://pythonicle.net/svn/projects/dsptools
[2] http://sourceforge.net/projects/dsptools/