Re: [LAD] Better lossless compressions?

From: Jeremy <jeremybubs@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jun 23 2010 - 03:10:25 EEST

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 5:48 PM, A. C. Censi <accensi@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> There is no decompress code in the article ...
>
> Someone has to wright one to check.
>
> The author and his company claim that it can operate in lossless mode
> and it is already in use in some medical systems, so probably yes. But
> the improvement, if any, when compared with established algorithms
> used for sound, seems not sensible. I would not bet time in writing
> the decompression code.
>
> ACC
>
> PS - Matlab compression code is attached. So anyone can try to decompress!
>
> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 6:32 PM, <fons@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> >> ... lots of text but no answer ...
> >
> > So I'll repeat the question: Does it decompress to the original ?
> > ( _it_ meaning the file that was reported to be compressed better
> > than 7:1)
> >
> > Ciao,
> >
> > --
> > FA
> >
> > O tu, che porte, correndo si ?
> > E guerra e morte !
> >

> --
> A. C. Censi
> accensi [em] gmail [ponto] com
> accensi [em] montreal [ponto] com [ponto] br

Alright, I've done some proper testing.

I encoded 105 seconds of 8 bit PCM audio.

Flac got a ratio of .240 on -0 (least compression) and a ratio of .230 on -8
(most compression)

The algorithm got a ratio of "2.7446", which is 0.36 if you convert it to
the way flac measures. (take the inverse).

So flac does better in terms of absolute compression, ignoring any
performance measures.

Jeremy