Re: [LAD] basic MIDI note-on/note-off questions

From: James Morris <james@email-addr-hidden-art.net>
Date: Fri Jun 25 2010 - 15:13:30 EEST

On 25 June 2010 12:51, James Morris <james@email-addr-hidden-art.net> wrote:
> On 25 June 2010 12:35, Jens M Andreasen <jens.andreasen@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 2010-06-25 at 11:55 +0100, James Morris wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I keep getting surprised at some of the most basic problems I run
>>> into... This time, processing order.
>>
>> Midi is serial, first come first served.
>>

>>> 1) Notes of zero duration?
>>>

>> Are at least one millisecond.
>>

>>> 2) note x ending simultaneously with note y beginning
>>>

>> Note x will end either one millisecond before or after y beginning.
>>
>> /j
>
> Sorry, should have mentioned this is with regard to the internals of sequencing.
> I can't see in Seq24 for example a way to make a zero length note.
>
> Where do you get the one millisecond from?
>
> Does this imply that a note-off should always happen one millisecond early?
>
> Cheers,
> James.

Not to worry. I think my code is flawed, needs to redesign
somewhere... with bin-packing, you have one thing to take out at the
same time as one thing to put in, it's obvious to do the taking-out
before the putting-in! but there's problems in my design making it
difficult to perform operations in that order.

Cheers,
James.