Re: [LAD] Routing signals in mixer (Ardour, Qtractor)

From: Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 07 2010 - 15:55:02 EEST

Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> On 07/07/2010 11:32 AM, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
>> On 07/07/2010 09:49 AM, Louigi Verona wrote:
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> Both Ardour and Qtractor are capable sequencers. Ardour is getting midi
>>> soon, Qtractor is getting automation. All of this is good news.
>>>
>>> I was wondering if the devs are interested in implementing routing
>>> signals in a mixer as the next important priority. This would allow not
>>> only effects chains which is usually very useful, but also usage of
>>> vocoders.
>>> At the moment it is impossible to use a vocoder plugin inside Ardour or
>>> Qtractor.
>>>
>>> The beauty of vocoders is that they can be used not only on voice, but
>>> as electronic instruments as well. I am often using them to create
>>> beautiful textures, but in order for the result to be good,
>>> I need to automate parameters of the vocoder. LADSPA Vocoder, for
>>> instance, is capable of generating very beautiful sounds, but only if
>>> you can change the bands in real time, fade the in and out.
>>> Of course, sometimes it can be recorded live, but in many cases it needs
>>> to be automated and stored in a project.
>>>
>>> Tell me what you think.
>>>
>> Hello Louigi,
>>
>> I think it can already be done:
>> - In Qtractor create four tracks with corresponding buses: synth
>> (stereo), carrier (mono), vocoder (3 channels) and vocoder-mix (stereo)
>> - The vocoder track needs a corresponding bus with three channels, one
>> for the carrier and one for the incoming signal
>> - Have all tracks output their signal to their corresponding buses,
>> except for vocoder-mix of course, have it output to the Master output bus
>> - Load the vocoder LADSPA plugin into the vocoder track. I don't know
>> which input is the carrier and which one the stereo input but I think
>> you'll figure that out yourself
>> - Make the connections in QjackCtl's or Qtractor's Connections window:
>> connect the synth output bus ports to the vocoder input bus ports and
>> connect the carrier output bus port to the third vocoder input bus port.
>> Then connect two of the vocoder output bus ports (the ones that output a
>> signal, one of the outputs will be silent I guess) to the vocoder-mix
>> input bus ports.
>>
>> Not sure if it works, but I managed to set up a similar effect chain
>> when it comes to using sidechain compression in Qtractor with the SC3
>> LADSPA compressor
>> (http://linux.autostatic.com/images/2010-07/sidechain.ogg). Works like a
>> charm so it should work with a vocoder plugin too.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Jeremy
>
> Instead of carrier I meant formant of course :$
>
> Jeremy

Ok, got it working in Qtractor:
- In Qtractor I've created four tracks with corresponding buses: Formant
Synth
(1 channel), Carrier Voice (1 channel), Vocoder (2 channels) and Vocoder
Mix (2 channels)
- All tracks output their signal to their corresponding buses,
except for Vocoder Mix which outputs to the Master output buses
- Then I've loaded the vocoder LADSPA plugin into the Vocoder track.
Input 1 of the Vocoder bus is the carrier and input 2 is the formant
- After that I've made the following connections in Qtractor's
Connections window:
http://linux.autostatic.com/images/2010-07/vocoder-connections.png

Best,

Jeremy