Re: [LAD] Tests directly routing pc's midi-in to midi-out (was: Re: ALSA MIDI latency test results are far away from reality)

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Wed Jul 14 2010 - 21:09:29 EEST

On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 19:56 +0200, Arnout Engelen wrote:
> You're posting a lot of information, but I'm going to ask some stupid questions
> anyway - just trying not to jump to conclusions before getting a crystal-clear
> picture of your setup.
>
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 03:23:03PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > 1.
> >
> > I disconnected all audio connections for JACK and connected hw MIDI in
> > to hw MIDI out. connected the DX7 MIDI out directly to the D4 MIDI in and
> > then I reconnected to the PCI card.
> >
> > The difference is alarming :(.
> >
> > Yamaha DX7 --> Alesis D4 results in a 100% musical groove.
> > Yamaha DX7 --> PC --> Alesis D4 results in extreme latency
>
> So here you're directly routing the MIDI IN to the MIDI OUT, and experiencing
> latency. Are you using JACK here, or directly ALSA? In other words, are you
> connecting 'in' to 'out' in the qjackctl 'MIDI' tab or in the 'ALSA' tab?
>

> Regards,
>
> Arnout

Now I'm really short in time, so very minimalist:

Mobo: ASUS M2A-VM HDMI, a while ago the BIOS was up-to-date, I guess
it's still up-to-date

Integrated graphics ATI Radeon X1250-based replaced by a NVIDI Geforce
7200GS.

# hwinfo --cpu
01: None 00.0: 10103 CPU
  [Created at cpu.301]
  Unique ID: rdCR.j8NaKXDZtZ6
  Hardware Class: cpu
  Arch: X86-64
  Vendor: "AuthenticAMD"
  Model: 15.107.2 "AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual Core Processor BE-2350"
  Features:
fpu,vme,de,pse,tsc,msr,pae,mce,cx8,apic,sep,mtrr,pge,mca,cmov,pat,pse36,clflush,mmx,fxsr,sse,sse2,ht,syscall,nx,mmxext,fxsr_opt,rdtscp,lm,3dnowext,3dnow,rep_good,extd_apicid,pni,cx16,lahf_lm,cmp_legacy,svm,extapic,cr8_legacy,3dnowprefetch
  Clock: 2100 MHz
  BogoMips: 4199.32
  Cache: 512 kb
  Units/Processor: 2

RAM: 2GB

Sound cards: 2x Terratec EWX 24/96 just stereo IOs, Envy24, not as one
virtual card, I'm only using one card at the moment
Not connected anymore: Swissonic USB MIDI IO

No USB devices, e.g. keyboard and mouse are PS/2.

I'm connecting MIDI in the Qtractor (quasi QjackCtl) ALSA MIDI tab.

To be continued tomorrow or on Friday.

Thank you!

Cheers!

Ralf