Re: [LAD] ALSA MIDI latency test results are far away from reality

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 14 2010 - 22:25:02 EEST

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 1:42 PM, Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On 07/14/2010 06:31 PM, Nedko Arnaudov wrote:
>> Robin Gareus <robin-+VlDMftONaMdnm+yROfE0A@email-addr-hidden> writes:
>>
>>> I was hinting that the audible midi-jitter could be a result of
>>> midi-messages getting 'quantizied' to jack-periods.
>>>
>>> A JACK-MIDI app which does not honor 'jack_midi_event_t->time' but
>>> simply processes all queued midi-events on each jack_process_callback()
>>> will result in the symptoms you describe (snare & kick on the same
>>> beat). One example of such an app is "a2j".
>>
>> What version?
>
> release-4 - the latest on svn://svn.gna.org/svn/a2jmidid
>
>> I can clearly see code that handles this in the current
>> version. It is in jack.c, a2j_alsa_output_thread(), lines 385-411
>
> I've just seen that there's git://repo.or.cz/a2jmidid.git and jumped
> from release-4 to release-6.

the code you cited does not do that. it is in a loop that sleeps until
each queued MIDI event should be delivered. it explicitly does *not*
deliver them all at once. its one inaccuracy is that it will not
attempt to sleep for less than 1msec, so if you have 2 messages
separated by less than 1 msec, they will be delivered one directly
after the other.