Re: [LAD] Tests directly routing pc's midi-in to midi-out

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Thu Jul 15 2010 - 14:07:48 EEST

On Thu, 2010-07-15 at 12:55 +0200, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > - instead of dev.hpet.max-user-freq=64 I'll try 1024 or 2048 as Robin
> > mentioned
>
> This parameter will not have any effect on anything because there is no
> program that uses the HPET timers from userspace. When high-resolution
> timers are used by ALSA, this is done inside the kernel where there is
> no limit on the maximum frequency.
>

> Regards,
> Clemens

IIRC someone on jack-devel mailing list had issues when using mplayer
with the value 64 and it was solved when using the value 1024. But as I
mentioned before, for my USB MIDI there was a difference between system
timer and hr timer, but there was no difference for the value 64 and
1024, when using hr timer.

Btw. I don't understand what a maximum frequency in the context does
mean. If 64 or 1024 should have impact, what would be the result?

System timer for a kernel-rt is set up to 1000Hz and hr timer is at
1000000000Hz.

What is 'max-user-freq' for?

Cheers!

Ralf