Re: [LAD] Floating point processing and high dynamic range audio

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Wed Jul 21 2010 - 21:40:40 EEST

On Wed, 2010-07-21 at 20:19 +0200, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> On 07/21/2010 08:56 PM, JohnLM wrote:
>
> > If I code program to handle attenuation of sounds depending on their
> > source (emitter) position in virtual 3D space, I guess then there's no
> > simple way to relate the effect to real world.
> > How this is usually handled?
>
> you reduce the level with distance (amount depends on whether you are in
> the near or far field and whether you have a point, line or planar
> source), and attenuate the high frequencies to simulate air damping. if
> you're in an enclosed space, you'd also want to take into account the
> dry-to-reverb ratio, and ideally simulate correct early reflections.

I guess the transit time issue for analog isn't solved. When I worked
for Brauner we and SPL developed a surround microphone + SPL mixing
console. IMO it's pure bullshit.

http://audio.uni-lueneburg.de/seminarwebseiten/audiomedien/frst/material/ICA5.jpg
http://audio.uni-lueneburg.de/seminarwebseiten/audiomedien/frst/material/asm5.jpg

Perhaps today there is math for virtual effects, I don't know, but I
would be very sceptic.