Re: [LAD] Attenuation of sounds in 3D space

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 22 2010 - 02:04:06 EEST

On Wednesday 21 July 2010 23:18:15 Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-07-21 at 22:58 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > @ nonsense and bullshit, where are the examples that it works?

Here: http://www.ambisonia.com/
Downloaded a lot of cool stuff from there (and will do so once my set-up is
finally complete). And even with my "untrained" ears (not as good as Fons' or
Jörns or Pauls and not as experienced as yours) they sound great.

> > There is no valid recording with more than 1 or 2 channels, regarding to
> > a natural impression. Some art projects that didn't try to give a
> > natural impression are something very, very different.
> But I would like read what people who do have 3D equipment do feel,
> while listening to those perfect 3D recordings.
> I do agree, that 3D could be good, but it never ever will sound natural.

I only have a four-channel square setup (half) working but the recordings from
above (note: real recordings from plane-fields, Indian markets and British
train stations) sounded _very_ realistic.

And as I said, the more speakers, the better.

> It's unimportant what are my thoughts about those links, I'm unable to
> listen, because I'm reduced to stereo, for good reasons.

Even with hearing aids you are _not_ limited to stereo. At least when stereo
is "two ears for listening".
When stereo means "two speakers for playback", that is rather limiting. But
something that can be solved...

> There is no perfect building to the context for stereo or mono and there
> also is no perfect way to use 5 or 7 audio channels.

We are not talking about 5.1 or 7.1 here. These suck big time.

We are talking about ambisonics vs. binaurals vs. simple stereo here!

> A lot of people, even a lot of those who you respect, tried it and I
> never meed someone who preferred mono or stereo to surround.

I don't understand that last sentence. You argue against using more then two
speaker-channels. And then you tell us you never meet anyone who prefered mono
or stereo over surround?

Love and peace,

Arnold