Re: [LAD] Attenuation of sounds in 3D space

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 22 2010 - 17:45:23 EEST

On Thursday 22 July 2010 16:29:01 Chris Cannam wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 12:48 PM, Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
wrote:
> > you don't ned anything fancy to listen to B-format
> > recordings, and one of the major reasons for that is fons' open source
> > decoder that will allow you to listen to them with any jack-enabled
> > audio player and your existing equipment.
>
> Question that just occurred to me. I'm very ignorant about spatial
> audio, and although I'm sure several of my colleagues could tell me
> this, I thought it might be sort of on-topic here. Is it possible, or
> easy, or sensible, or worthwhile, to reduce a B-format recording into
> stereo in multiple different ways in order to achieve different
> subjective "listener position" results when using headphones?

It makes sense to reduce B-format to stereo.

But the target is important, if you aim at headphones, there are decoders that
create an binaural signal. If normal stereo-systems are the target, you will
do a decoding similar to any ambisonics setup but only use two speakers in the
correct stereo positions and decode to file...

The headphone-version gives more of the ambisonics feeling, but the normal
stereo signal also benefits from the recording done in ambisonics.

Have fun,

Arnold