Re: [LAD] twice as loud

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Fri Jul 23 2010 - 17:01:42 EEST

On Fri, 2010-07-23 at 11:13 +0100, Frank Smith wrote:
> Hi All
> I was under the impression that every 3 db increase doubled the volume
> and you needed to increase the power needed by a factor of 3 . Things
> could have changed by now but this is what I use.
>

> Cheers
> Bob

I guess this was an old radio ratio for music and speaker and yes, it
was interpreted as "twice as", also 6 dB, but if you mix music it can be
9 dB or 12 dB since you get this impression. So I guess 10 dB is most
common. For math it might be 6 dB, regarding to twice as far to the
sound source, what not really must result in half as loud.