Re: [LAD] twice as loud

From: Albert Graef <Dr.Graef@email-addr-hidden-online.de>
Date: Fri Jul 23 2010 - 21:05:10 EEST

lieven moors wrote:
> On 07/22/2010 11:25 PM, Albert Graef wrote:
>> lieven moors wrote:
>>
>>> ...continuation of truncated mail (does anyone know why this happens?)
>>>
>> Probably it's the second "From" line; looks like your mail client is
>> confused by this.
>>
>> Concerning your question: As other have remarked, that is a very
>> intricate question which is studied in psychoacoustics, so one of the
>> requisite textbooks on the subject (like Roederer's "Psychophysics")
>>
> Thanks for the pointer. I'll see if I can find a copy...

That's the one that I mean (most recent edition):
http://www.amazon.com/Physics-Psychophysics-Music-Introduction/dp/0387094709/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

If nothing else, it should point you to the original literature that's
relevant to your question and see how these people went about their
experiments.

> Do you think there is a direct connection between frequency-specific
> sensitivity, and the SPL range the ear can tolerate for specific
> frequencies?

That's in the F/M curves as well. There have also been experiments to
identify the ranges that are relevant to language and music. Indeed
there has been *lots* of scientific work done in this area since the
1960s. Of course all these results are statistical as they relate
objective physical measures with subjective levels of stimuli, but that
doesn't mean that it's all hogwash. ;-)

Albert

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af
Dept. of Music-Informatics, University of Mainz, Germany