Re: [LAD] twice as loud

From: <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 23 2010 - 23:23:46 EEST

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 06:42:11PM +0200, lieven moors wrote:

> On 07/23/2010 06:29 PM, fons@email-addr-hidden wrote:
>
> > Transporting this to the audio domain, given two similar
> > sounds A and B with a B having a higher level than A, you
> > could adjust a third one X so it appears to be 'halfway'
> > between A and B. If you do this with A much smaller than
> > B, would you expect X to be close to 'half a loud as B' ?
> >

> If A would be very close to silence, yes.

I'd be *very* surprised if that would turn out to be true.

I bet that if B is A + 40 dB, X would turn out to be
close to A + 20 dB. And if B is A + 60 dB, X will be
close to A + 30 dB. In both cases A is very small
conpared to B (at most 1/10000 in power).

Ciao,

--
FA
There are three of them, and Alleline.