Re: [LAD] twice as loud

From: <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 24 2010 - 12:25:51 EEST

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 10:58:44AM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> I know it's idiotic, OTOH when do we ever wish to have knowledge about
> objective 'twice as loud'? Did anybody ever thought 'shit, I need to mix
> the snare objectively half as loud, but I don't know what's the correct
> level'?

You're looking at it from the limited perspective of
someone wanting to mix a recording.

Asking what means 'twice as loud' is probably the wrong
question. But we need to know the subjective effect of
sound in order to:

- develop efficient techniques for correcting noise
related problems without overdoing it at gigantic cost,

- draw up sensible legislation about noise pollution,

- aid diagnosis or hearing problems,

- etc. etc.

Apart from that studying this reveals a lot of how
our hearing system might actually work, which is an
interesting subject in itself.

Ciao,

--
FA