Re: [LAD] twice as loud

From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 24 2010 - 17:23:07 EEST

On Saturday, July 24, 2010 10:08:34 am Ralf Mardorf did opine:

> On Sat, 2010-07-24 at 10:52 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > >
> > > *anything* at 130 dB SPL is wrong in any sense. :p
> >
> > No, I wish to listen to the opera at the other mountaintop. Regarding
> > to the German wiki about SPL, the pain threshold is at 134 dB at the
> > ear. Assumed the opera house is at another mountaintop or in the
> > valley, even 130 dB could be a little bit to less power. ;D
>
> I know it's idiotic, OTOH when do we ever wish to have knowledge about
> objective 'twice as loud'? Did anybody ever thought 'shit, I need to mix
> the snare objectively half as loud, but I don't know what's the correct
> level'?

I wondered about that myself. I got stuck mixing for KISS one labor day in
the late 70's. All I got for tutorial was which mic/instrument was which
knob on the snakes panel that Gene brought to the me in the control room at
KIVA-TV in Farmington NM, telling me which jack to get my air audio from.
That snake panel was about as homemade as could be. And Gene said if it
sounded good to me, it probably was. So I set the axe & drums to hit zero
to plus 2, the voices and guitar at about -2 to 0. I recorded about 10
minutes worth and invited Gene into listen to the air check during the NBC
portion of the telethon and he was pleased. They were on the road, between
shows and had a few hours to kill, so they stopped and volunteered to play
music during the local break times for about 4 hours. All were in the
famous KISS war paint, which was a little streaked because the local temps
were in the low 100's and their bus had no air conditioning. And badly in
need of a shower from the BO standpoint, but they did make some fine music
for Jerry's Kids that day.

Yeah, I mixed for KISS once. NBD. But it does make a nice line on my
resume. ;-)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)