Re: [LAD] Solved: No Flash audio. With a question.

From: Niels Mayer <nielsmayer@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jul 25 2010 - 19:06:53 EEST

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 8:43 PM, Tim E. Real <termtech@rogers.com> wrote:
> On July 24, 2010 06:44:40 pm you wrote:
> Holy crud that's nice !!! You really went to town on this !

I figured these cards are worth it... One of the changes I made
seriously reduces the number of interrupts/ticks envy24control 0.6.0
generates, by replacing a bunch of 100ms timers with a single 100ms
timer. And not updating the hardware meters across umpteen channels at
25 times a second. Which IMHO is hardware peak-metering abuse -- if
you really need to visualize your sound in realtime, you might as well
just run "jkmeter" or "yass" on the inputs or outputs and be done with
it.... I want to be able to have 'envy24control' up and running all
the time, using hardware peak meters to monitor the levels without
significantly increasing CPU processing, and with metering that
doesn't induce epileptic attacks... This "1.0.0" envy24control will be
able to do that, and the lower resource usage will help save the
planet too!

> How the heck did you manage the slider markings, after I posted I thought it
>  was impossible to satisfy, especially with different cards  ?

I hopefully did the same thing as with 'alsamixer' which gives dB
readings for all sliders -- but I'd love to have this tested with
different cards to find out if there's problems. In particular M-Audio
Delta 1010's, M-Audio Audiophile 2496, TerraTec EWS 88MT, TerraTec EWS
88D, TerraTec Phase 88, Hoontech SoundTrack DSP 24.

http://nielsmayer.com/envy24control/envy24control-0.6-to-1.0.patch
(patch to 'envy24control' from GIT trunk of alsa-tools)
http://nielsmayer.com/envy24control/envy24control-1.0.tar.gz
(full directory, just follow README directions to build/install)
http://nielsmayer.com/envy24control/envy24control-1.0-fc12-x86_64.tar.gz
(x86_64 binary that should work on fedora12 and equivalent OpenSuse release)
http://nielsmayer.com/envy24control/envy24control-1.0.README
(summary of changes from 0.6.0 to 1.0.0)

-- Niels
http://nielsmayer.com