Re: [LAD] twice as loud

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Tue Jul 27 2010 - 23:31:57 EEST

On Tue, 2010-07-27 at 14:26 -0500, Charles Henry wrote:
> To describe the things we can study ethically and scientifically, use
> numbers. For everything else, use words :)

... words? ... yes, but add music, paintings, dance etc. ;)

Full ACK :).

Btw. the NAZIs did unethical experiments, while Einstein didn't,
regarding to the results humans win more knowledge from Einstein, but
from the 'NAZI science'. So, it could be, that even doing 'extreme'
tests isn't able to teach us more than math is able to do.

The thread still is 'half/double as loud'. Depending to some situations,
some people claim 3 dB, others 6 dB, while it's most common to say that
'around' 10 dB is half as loud.

I experienced 9 dB to 12 dB as 'twice as loud', regarding to the meters
of the mixing console!

As long as we aren't more royalist than the king, we should dogmatise
this as a rule of thumb.

It's good, when people do research to be more precise, don't get me
wrong, but I guess it needs more but mathematical knowledge and
knowledge how to program for Linux, to do research.

Really 2 Cents (and nothing more)

Ralf