Re: [LAD] Attenuation of sounds in 3D space

From: <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 28 2010 - 23:06:16 EEST

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 10:47:03PM +0200, JohnLM wrote:

> I've been studying process of spatialization a bit, and ambisonics
> figure in there quite a bit.
> I was wondering if there is some "data loss" if I encode ambisonic
> format and then decode it to whatever "direct channel-to-speaker"
> format (stereo, 5.1, others) is needed, in stead of writing to
> different channels directly.
>
> To make it a bit clearer: What difference would these methods cause?
> 1. Inputs -> B-format -> 5.1
> or
> 2. Inputs -> 5.1
>
> Simply first method allows me to concentrate making ambisonics only,
> and then use already existing decoders to create final output.

If you use 2nd order AMB and a good AMB->5.1 decoder the results
should be very good. The combimation AMB panner + AMB->5.1 decoder
is in fact a 5.1 panner, but quite a sophisticated one. You could
put one of theae in each channel, but since the second part is the
same for all it's more effficient to do it after the mixing, in
other words use an AMB mixing bus.

Compared to conventional 5.1 pairwise panning the result will be
more even, without emphasising the speaker locations as would be
the case otherwise. In other words, the sound will be much less
seem to originate in the speakers.

Ciao,

--
FA