Re: [LAD] Attenuation of sounds in 3D space

From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 29 2010 - 18:05:47 EEST

On Thursday, July 29, 2010 11:02:19 am Ralf Mardorf did opine:
[...]
> When I'm in the cinema I sometimes notice unbearable phasing, while a
> sound is panned from one 2D position to the other, this isn't a Doppler
> effect, but an issue regarding to transit time or something else. IMO
> out of phase vs detune.

This I expect, would be an artifact of the usual pan pot, precisely because
that pan pot doesn't also put in the phase shifts one normally hears in the
real world. For that reason alone, I detest the use of the pan pot on a
dynamic basis as an audio editing tool. It simply doesn't do it all,
whereas the moving source does.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)